Responsible financial decisions start when we are young and continue throughout our lives and Dakota West is building an educational foundation in our communities to guide and reward our students and teachers.
Every year Dakota West offers high school seniors, and this year also current college and trade school students, the opportunity to apply for the annual Dakota West Members Scholarship. Winners will be announced on Friday, May 15. We also support the annual CU Care Campaign which helps fund additional scholarships through the Credit Union Foundation of the Dakotas.
On March 12 we announced the winner of our inaugural Teacher Financial Literacy Grants to give teachers the financial resources to integrate financial education into our schools. While Suzy Jacobson misses spending time with her 5th and 6th graders, we are excited to help her bring financial education to her students in the future.
Parents who are adding new home curriculum to their daily schedule can also utilize the resources we offered to Suzy and all the Teacher Financial Literacy Grants applicants at the below links.
- U.S. Department of Treasury Financial Literacy and Education Commission
- National Financial Educators Council Financial Literacy for Kids
- InCharge.org – Financial Literacy for Kids
- National Education Association Resources for Teaching Financial Literacy
- National Credit Union Foundation How We Help
- Credit.org – Personal Finance Education
- Jumpstart.org – National Standards in K-12 Personal Finance Education
- Federal Student Aid – How Aid Works